About the project
Queering Football – Tackling Homophobia and Promoting Anti-Discrimination around Major Sport Events
From January 2016 till the end of 2017, this European project seeks to challenge homophobia in football and aims at establishing an inclusive football culture and anti-discrimination standards at major sport events.
Queering Football is co-funded by the European Commission/ERASMUS+ Sport Programme
Homophobia – prejudices and violence against LGBTIQs*** – is still one of the main and untackled problems in European football. Homophobic chants and physical attacks as well as ignorance and exclusion still happen on a daily basis.Homophobia like discriminations on other grounds prevents European citizens from participation in sport and in society at large.
Queering Football aims at using the UEFA EURO 2016 in France as a pan-European communication platform to tackle discrimination and hatred. The anti-homophobia measures in France will serve as an example to ensure that questions of inclusion, equality and minority rights are on the agenda. Anti-discrimination activities should be a precondition if a country/city is going to host a major sport event. One main output of Queering Football is a handbook on fundamental rights and anti-discrimination standards in the context of mega sport events.
Overall objective is to raise awareness for a wider recognition of homophobia as a main cross-border threat to the integrity of European sport.
- EuroPrideHouse & Campaigning against homophobia around UEFA EURO 2016
- Building networks and capacity among LGBTIQs and football supporters
- Developing anti-homophobia educational and training tools
- Promoting anti-discrimination standards at major sport events
Network & partners
Queering Football is a collaborative project between supporters groups, NGOs, grassroots initiatives, networks and local and international (football) institutions
The partners in the European project are:
- fairplay-VIDC (Vienna Institute for International Dialogue and Cooperation) – Austria (lead)
- European Gay and Lesbian Sport Federation (EGLSF) – The Netherlands (European network)
- Football Supporters Europe (FSE) – Germany (European network)
- Fédération Sportive Gaie et Lesbienne (FSGL) – France
- Unione Italiana Sport per Tutti (UISP) – Italy
- Spolint Institute – Slovenia
Contact & information
More Information on this website and on facebook:
and in particular for information on the anti-homophobia activities at UEFA EURP 2016:
Contact: Nikola Staritz, fairplay-VIDC, staritz[at]vidc.org
*** LGBTIQ = Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Questioning/Queer